Authorities have issued a major update after police arrested Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, the brother of King Charles, on his 66th birthday at Sandringham on Thursday (February 19).
Andrew was held in custody at Aylsham police station on Thursday, after being arrested at his residence in Sandringham earlier in the morning.
Following the arrest, it’s important to note that this should not be seen as any indication of guilt, and there are currently no charges.
King Charles breaks his silence on arrest
Following the arrest of his younger brother, King Charles has issued a statement which reads: “I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office.
“What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities.
“In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation.”
The monarch added: “Let me state clearly: the law must take its course.
“As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter.
“Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all.”
Despite the bombshell news of Andrew’s arrest, it seems the royals are very much taking their historically infamous ‘business as usual’ approach.
Queen Camilla arrived for an engagement in Westminster, central London, yesterday, just hours after the arrest had been made.
She attended a lunchtime orchestral concert, and was greeted by representatives as she arrived.
BBC News reported that neither King Charles nor Buckingham Palace were informed in advance that Andrew was to be arrested.
Former prince is held in custody
Authorities have also noted that the former prince was not be treated any differently while in custody.
Speaking to BBC Radio 5 Live, policing commentator Danny Shaw said that Andrew would be placed in ‘a cell in a custody suite’ with just ‘a bed and a toilet,’ where he would wait until his police interview.
Shaw added that ‘there’ll be no special treatment for him.’
In most cases in the UK, suspects are held for 12 to 24 hours before either being charged or released pending further investigation.
Why was Andrew arrested?
The son of the late Queen Elizabeth was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office, as per the BBC.
It’s been reported that Thames Valley Police have been looking into the allegations against Andrew, with the support of Norfolk Constabulary.

The force is investigating allegations of misconduct in public office, and is also looking into allegations that a second woman was sent to the UK by Epstein for a s**ual encounter with the former prince.
Andrew’s home is being searched
Thames Valley Police confirmed that searches would be carried out at addresses in Norfolk and Berkshire.
A BBC reporter at the location has now revealed that officers are searching Royal Lodge in Windsor Great Park, where Andrew lived up until very recently.
Police issue major update
Following the arrest, a statement from Thames Valley police reads: “As part of the investigation, we have today arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office and are carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk.

“The man remains in police custody at this time.
“We will not be naming the arrested man, as per national guidance. Please also remember that this case is now active so care should be taken with any publication to avoid being in contempt of court.”
Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright added: “Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office.
“It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence.
“We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time.”
Andrew released under investigation
Thames Valley police issues another update on the investigation on Thursday evening, stating that the arrested man, Andrew, has been released under investigation.

They added that searches in Norfolk have concluded, but noted that searches in Berkshire are still under way.
The former prince was pictured in the back of a vehicle leaving Aylsham police station, returning to his residence in Sandringham at around 8pm GMT.
